2014-02-05 Mike Adams <[log in to unmask]>:

> Heard of Googles Translator and other like online and smart phone
> applications? What about Dragon, where you can speak into a mic and it
> comes up as text and more?
>
> How soon can your CONLANG be up and on a like program or is Google wanting
> new lingos to translate into/out of?

I can't tell what Google wants, though I think they would like more
natlangs in their tool. For conlangs, I don't think so (maybe only the
famous ones and even then I'm not sure). AIUI Google Translate (and other
translation tools) are based on a large text corpora manually translated,
where they can find patterns and understand what is that the user wants,
not to mention the users effort of rating the translations. Linguee works
this way and even show the piece of text along with the translation.
Conlangs usually don't have such large corpora.

As for speech-recognition, I believe it's not something trivial to do. This
kind of software uses statistics to recognize patterns of the spoken
language and find the best one that fits what the user might be saying.
Most likely not that hard to codify, though it'll take a lot of work to
train the software about the patterns (specially because a conlang is not
always pronounced correctly and fluently).

> I have some NATLANG friends who might like to know how and who to talk to
> about adding them NATLANG added to Google
> Translator, call it a way to help preserve their culture and language.

It can preserve a language, but I'm not so sure about the language. As per
the last post on their official blog, they are willing to add more
natlangs, even endangered ones (and there's a link to a for where people
can volunteer to help adding other languages):
http://googletranslate.blogspot.com.br/2013/12/google-translate-now-in-80-languages.html

George Marques