I've been thinking about the idea that a conlang can be a "success" or a 
"failure" in some way. I'm not sure that it's so straightforward. 
Certainly there are some impressive "success" stories. Who could have 
foreseen that a casual reference to Shakespeare in "the original 
Klingon" could have led to the translation and publication of the entire 
play of Hamlet in Klingon? I can name some clear failures from my own 
experience, most of which I've never even mentioned on the list, so the 
names will be meaningless. One that I'll mention is Ssūraki, which I 
thought was going to be the next big thing, but it was such a failure 
that I had to look up the ConScript Unicode Registry to remember what I 
called it. Yeah, there's a whole range of characters in the CSUR for an 
alphabet that I've never used enough to consider making a font for it, 
and never had any plans to revive.

But plans change. I keep thinking about Tirėlat, and where it's come 
from how I started it. Jarda was my biggest success at the time, but I 
wasn't quite happy with how it turned out. I wanted a new personal 
language, and set a goal of eight words a day. At first, the language 
took off nicely, but I never used it regularly in the way that I did 
with Jarda. Then I started messing around with it, mechanically 
replacing sounds, adding noun classes, and so on. It started getting 
hard to manage, and I spun off a variation called Czirehlat to act as a 
stable frame of reference. I used Czirehlat in the fourth translation 
relay in 2001, and haven't used it since.

Then around ten years ago, I decided that Tirėlat wasn't working out as 
a personal language. I reimagined it as a language spoken by Sangari. 
Relay 9 was going on at the time, and the language I used then is 
immediately recognizable as modern Tirėlat. One small difference is that 
I'd replaced all instances of /j/ with /i/. The original text also uses 
the singular "su guva" where I've got plural "saj guva" in the recent 
song. I think the plural articles were a later addition. There's another 
word that changed slightly, but you might not even notice the difference.

In the years since then, I've done more with Tirėlat than any of my 
other fictional languages. Now I'm using Tirėlat to make music. If I had 
that as my goal, I'd count Tirėlat as a definite success. But it's not 
at all designed in the way that I'd do a language if I intended it from 
the start as a language for song writing!

So if the original design goals for a language are relevant, Tirėlat 
wasn't much of a success. But I think the language is telling me: "I'll 
show you how I truly am. I'll become my true self."

Maybe I'll translate that song one of these days. Something about it 
seems familiar.