On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 18:47:57 +0000, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>That's an interesting and useful definition, but the neologizer's talents for creating new English lexis are in this instance as godawful as those of the folk that made up those nauseating pseudoclassical terms for Polyamory (_polyamory, limerance_ etc.). That is, I find the definition appetizing but the English morphological forms literally sickening and a deeply abusive insult to English.

Indeed, we seem to be in robust agreement here that "conlex" is ill-chosen and inapt for its meaning.

This is one of the adversities that modern technology and its culture visits upon onomastics, as I see it: when you want to make a thing you typically have to name it at the very moment of creation, and then that's it, that's your name, that's how people know your thing, baked into its identity.  Even if one can rename it down the line (as a nonmember of Facebook, I wonder, can one rename a Facebook group?) that's generally Not Done; if you treat your brand so willy-nilly you'll throw away your chance at virulence, sorry, virality.  And so the ability of apter locutions to rise to the top, which one has in most ordinary, decentralised aspects of human language, is hobbled here.  Inara has hitched her wagon to "conlex", and even if we were all to jump into line behind say "lifelang" that group would be a preservative force behind "conlex" which we probably wouldn't quite be a match for.

[The worst cases of the above are those where simultaneously there are constraints on the choosable names, like a shared non-reusable namespace -- thus all the web startups who scrape their name off the bottom of the barrel, notions of fittingness long abandoned, and then in desperation try to push it down our throats as common noun or verb or whatnot for whatever it is they're doing.  "Welcome to Spanchr.com, thè video-chat hub for peacock militia-keepers!   * How do I spanchr?   * Create a spanchr now!"  etc etc.]

>So I'll call this sort of conlang a "lifelang".

As I got to the quotes from Ayres when reading this thread, "lifelang" was the word that, independently, popped into my head as well.  *high-five*

Alex