Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]> scripsit:

>>> ...to create a language based on  stereotypical expressions.
>
>>  It reminds me a bit of a character in Gene Wolfe's _The Book of the
>>  New Sun_ who spoke only in stereotypical expressions, mostly proverbs
>>  and political slogans.
>>
>>  I second recommendations to use Latin expressions.
>
> We could make a list of all words and expressions used many times in
> its original form in texts in other languages.

Voila et ecce verbum! --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases

You might also consider biblical and mythological set phrases as good sources
as well. There'll be loads from both.

> Those would be the only permitted in our language.

It does strike me, though, that such a language would be fabulously wealthy
in extra-contextual meaning. For example, the above. In pointing out a source
of words, I can't, in this language, just say "click this link" (cos it's not a
stereotypical expressions / proverb / quote from literature / etc). In saying "
ecce verbum" I also call up, in addition to a list of Latin phrases, the same
phrase in a very different context: "ecce verbum caro factum est" (Bernard of
Clairvaux). Such a language, like the mentioned Star Trek example, will be
very deep, but not often specific! And certainly not concise!

If I understand you right, you can't just say "Leonardo drives a red car". You
have to say something like "The Lion-hearted, as Hyperion across the flaming
sky his chariot did ride, flames of red among the green, his cherry red chariot."

References to legendary figures (Richard Lionheart = Leonardo); driving the
chariot of the sun = driving a car; flames of red among the green (a painting)
& cherry red chariot (a pop music lyric).

> I don't know if "stereotype language"  would
> describe it better than "pedantic language".

No, I think pedantic does not fit.

> The challenge is to make coherent sentences. "C'est la vie! C'est le Zeitgeist...
> Status quo sine qua there's no free lunch..."
>
> As other pointed out, Europanto is similar to what I proposed.

But, as I think I now understand the game, not really a good parallel. Europanto
is just a pastiche of random European words stitched together without rhyme or
reason. This language seems to a more deliberate creation taking set phrases
and applying those phrases to ordinary events without recourse to direct and
succinct language. The listener is thus free to interpret, based on his understanding
of the culture and its stock of expressions.

I guess the questions that remain for me are ones of source: how far afield are
you allowing one to choose? Not only languagewise (I mean, are you accepting
Japanese expressions?) but also sources of such phrases. Do they have to be
foreign expressions (Latin, French, etc) or can they be English? Must they be
restricted to stock phrases, or can one draw from (reasonably well known)
phrases, aphorisms, proverbs and quotes from literature?

Padraic