It's fun to see Pandári sentences I didn't write!

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Pandári Fun Time!
>
> So I've taken a glance at the Pandári material that's available, and so, to
> play a bit, I'm going to attempt to follow the rules and write a few
> sentences.  There will be mistakes ahead.

They look fine to me. :)

---SNIP---

> Pandári is still a work in progress, so I won't add too much here.  As I
> typed the sentences, however, I did wonder about pronunciation.  How are
> vowels pronounced over word boundaries?

I hadn't thought about consciously, but I've been pronouncing them
with a glo'al stop:

... "Mása 'ápu sái?"

>  How about final -n
> before p and b, such as "ban patái" and "tan ban patái?"

I tend to say "ban patái", enunciating the "n" clearly rather than
letting it morph into "m".

> I was wondering whether the sound and shape of a word could be used to
> determine its part of speech.  For instance, qámi (willing to), mása (we),
> and dúmi (home) all have the same shape, but have very different functions.
>  Obviously that's not a concern for natural languages, of course.

Almost all of my previous conlangs had some strict rules about
identifying parts of speech. This made it easy to derive ADJs from Ns
or Vs, of course, but it also made for a somewhat boring sounding
language. When every noun ends in -u, and every verb in -o, for
example, there's a sort of sing-song rhythm to the prose that can be
monotonous.

My main concern was to limit the most common words to one or two
syllables. That CVCV shape is bound to be common in 2-syllable words.

>  There do appear to be hints of some sort of derivational process.  In Ai
> Bàsata, nouns ended in -a, adjectives in -e, prepositions and adverbs in
> -i, and verbs in -o.  In Pandári it looks like intransitive verbs are built
> off of transitive verbs by the addition of -o, though there may be some fun
> irregularities in the system.

---SNIP---

I was leaning toward making it more naturalistic by having
irregularities. But I still want the grammar to be well regulated, and
the lexicon to be without gross ambiguities.

> Ú ban rámo!

The language is still in it's earliest annealing phase. Right now it's
very "hot" so big changes can occur easily. Later on, as it begins to
"cool", crystals form and the structure becomes more rigid. Once it
cools down enough it will become very hard to change. Since I only
have a couple of days invested in it so far, I can still make vast
changes will little loss of investment. In fact, I'm strongly
considering turning the whole thing topsy-turvey and making it SOV,
just because I've never done an SOV conlang before.
---SNIP---

Thanks for your comments.

--gary