On 2 February 2014 12:22, Siva Kalyan <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> From what I can make of it, Type 3 incorporation gets used when the entity
> being referred to is “active” in the discourse (typically, it has just been
> mentioned). It thus serves a similar function to (some instances of)
> reduced stress in English: to use one of her examples, if A says, “You
> never eat meat”, and B retorts, “I eat meat [unstressed] all the time!”,
> B’s use of “meat” would be expressed with Type 3 incorporation, since
> “meat” has just been mentioned, and is hence “active” at the time that B
> mentions it.

I've seen this "type 3" incorporation discussed before (can't remember
where exactly). Basically, it's not unlike using the definite article in
English, or indeed a pronoun. It marks definiteness due to having just been
mentioned. It seems to be one of the ways languages indicate definiteness
of objects.

> Another way of looking at this is that Type 3 incorporation “converts a
> noun into a pronoun”. If you think of “he” as the “pronominal equivalent”
> of “man”, or “it” as the “pronominal equivalent” of “thing”, then the Type
> 3-incorporated version of “meat” would be the pronominal equivalent of
> “meat” (in its typical usage as a lexical noun). (Maybe that wasn’t as
> helpful as I hoped it would be.)

That sounds somewhat like classifiers in ASL, if I understand those
correctly :).
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)