On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 3:39 AM, Siva Kalyan
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Japanese is (or at least used to be) a quasi-example of this; I've heard that in at least some kinds of situations, a Japanese person will insist on talking to a foreigner in English because they would feel "threatened" if the foreigner addressed them in Japanese. (Again, not true in my experience.)

I don't know about "threatened" (but then, I have no idea which
circumstances you're talking about), but it does seem that some
Japanese have internalized "white person = speaks English, not
Japanese" so well that when addressed by one they will respond in
English. Even if the Japanese person's English is really rudimentary.
Even if the white person's Japanese is excellent (not talking about
myself here). Even if the white person speaks *no English at all*.

There are also Japanese people who will praise a foreigner's Japanese
abilities to the skies, even if the foreigner's Japanese
conversational skills are awful (I *am* talking about myself here).
These two groups are not mutually exclusive.