On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:48:23 -0800
Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Today, by my calculations, is exactly halfway between the winter
> solstice and the vernal equinox. Surely a cause for celebration, as
> it in on Cindu (although their Mid-winter day is quite a ways off.)

Please respectfully inform H.E.The Karun that he has been misled.
The idea that winter begins at the solstice is a delusion of
astronomers which has only recently been foisted on the populace. Of
the four days on which rent is traditionally paid, that close to the
summer solstice is called Midsummer Day. Similarly, one of our poets
referred to the "bleak midwinter" at the winter solstice. Today,
therefore marks the end of winter; the actual celebration — St Brighid's
Day, Imbolc, or Candlemas — fell a few days ago. Spring is indeed at
hand, and I have flowers in my garden to prove it.