Hi all,

In my flat, similar to Elena, we can tell the season by the hardness of the butter. Being students, we are unwilling to heat the flat but also too lazy to have cold butter from the fridge all the time, so we leave it in the pantry. The year is thus divided into: soft all the time, soft in the afternoons but hard in the mornings, or hard all the time.

Thankfully, as I live on basically a large island, we don't get the ridiculous range in temperatures that everyone seems to get elsewhere. Summer may be 26 on a hot day, and winter might be 11 on a cold day. It would never drop more than about 10C at night either.

And Pedro is correct, Christmas is definitely a summer holiday ;)

> We had a discussion about spelling reform, so if no one else is going to
> mention it, I'll bring up calendar reform.  Has anyone come up with some
> interesting proposals?  13 months a year?  19 days a week?  How about a
> month all of Fridays?
>
> Conversely, now would be a good time to discuss different calender schemes
> in our languages.  Anything exotic?  Weeks with three and a half days?  A
> lunar calendar based on the Moons of Mars?  A reform of a calendar from the
> days when the Moon was much, much closer to Earth?  An alien calendar that
> involves a slide-rule, a crystal ball, and a working perpetual motion
> machine?
>
> Though, I do like that idea of a month all of Fridays.
>
> For a summary of calendar reforms, one may look herein:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_reform

Maybe we should follow the system Tolkien devised for the Hobbits: 12 months of 30 days each, with the midwinter (Yule) and midsummer (Lithe) holidays outside of the months. I'm not sure that this solves any of the issues that the Wikipedia article has with the Gregorian calendar though.

I have never got far enough to devise a calendar system. The setting for my conlangs are all a bit vague, and if they need month names I just use English or sometimes French or some other colonial loans; Íánuilí, Pepuilí, Máz etc.

James