Em 06/02/2014 21:46, "James" <[log in to unmask]> escreveu:

> On 02/04/2014 12:40 PM, Adam Walker wrote:
>>
>> Where I live, in Texas, summer is from the first 90-degree (F for those
>> using C that's just a skosh above 32) day, to the last such day.  the
first
>> usually occurs in early April, but may be in March.  The last is usually
in
>> October, so about 8 months.  The main feature of summer is watching the
>> yards slowly turn brown and crack while the thermometers reach into the
>> 110s (again F, for those clinging to C above 43).  Fall is that week at
the

I see that the latitude of Texas is around the latitude of Southern Brazil
but in opposite directions. Subtropical zones, with broad temperature range.

Brazilian South Region is the only in Brazil where it snows but it's also
the only one where temperature reached 50 C (122 F) these days.

I have already seen an American man describing Goiás, the state where I was
born, as the "Brazilian Texas", to his family. But it's much closer to the
equator and so the temperature varies much less throughout the year.

OTOH, being closer to the equator causes great day-night temperature
variation because you have ~12h-day-12h-night the whole year. People that
goes to the Amazon forest can't believe that it can be so cold at night and
so hot "at day".

Many people in my hometown, specially the urban and distracted ones, are
frequently unaware of the current season. Some just can remember that June
nights are cold (because the festas juninas help them remember), that
August is the "hottest month" and that it rains more frequently in months
with the letter R in their names. Actually, August is not the hottest
month, it's only the hottest dry month, so it feels the hottest one.

>> end of summer when the trees turn yelloworangereddead and dump their
leave
>> in one great KAWHOOSH on the remains your lawn.  Winter is the time when
>> the trees are scraggly sticks poking at the sky, during which the
>> thermometer occillates wildly between the 20s and the 70s, (-7 to 26 for
>> you C-folk,  though this year has featured trips as low as 8 [-13C] with
>> wind chills in the negative numbers) occasionally covering that range in
>> single day.  Winter ends when the trees begin to bud, returns when the
buds
>> are killed, comes back when the trees bud again, leaves when the buds are
>> killed again -- it's a war of wills between winter and spring for some
>> weeks with seasons alternating daily -- so really winter and spring
happen
>> as a sort of interleaved affair.  Then just as spring seems to have the
>> upper hand, summer crushes her under his sweltering heel.
>>
>> Adam
>>

> As a fellow North-Texan, I can vouch for your highly accurate description
of the way things work here. Spot on!