I would guess that Peano used the ablative because it allows for plurals in
-s without any problems. Sure it's interesting for a language if you have
some of those second and third declension nominative forms - vox, ager,
pater, nomen - but they don't play along with the plural in -s or even in
-es. Do you really want "paters" or "pateres", "nomens" or "nomenes" when
you can just have "patres" and "nomines"? What exactly does "vox" become -
voxes or voces? It's worse with -us words - "muruses"? You get "muros" with
the ablative. It just makes more sense, and since every LsF noun ends in a
vowel, you wind up with an extremely regular plural.