[...]
> welcoming a Belarussian student with "Kak dvayo nichivo?" would have
> similar effect, plus the added benefit of being humorous since that
> greeting is very slangy.

Yes, this is usually funny. I've already heard vendors of other
countries speaking expressions from my country that I don't use myself
because I find them too slangy.

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Jeffrey Daniel Rollin-Jones <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On 14 February 2014 17:57, Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hmm... I used to be able to give greetings in about 70 languages...back
>> > when I worked with speakers of that many languages on a daily basis.
>> >

>> That's impressive.

Indeed. I think Adam should record a video greeting in all those
languages and post it somewhere.

>> The most obscure piece of linguistic knowledge I used to
>> know was how to say "Where is the toilet" in Swahili

It could be considered more strange that I don't know how to say that
but OTOH I know that "ningekuoa malaika" means "I would marry you
angel" in Swahili. But that's in a song...