On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 08:13:32PM +0100, taliesin the storyteller wrote:
> On 02/07/2014 04:43 PM, BPJ wrote:
> >Sure I might make up a new word anytime, but I might not feel that it
> >is the 'true' word. It might sound strange, but I may 'find' just a
> >handful or less Sohlob words in a whole year, andsd sometimes even
> >the ones I find turn out not to be the right ones. Once I made up a
> >whole lexicon with the help of Roger's vocabulary questionnaire and a
> >generator script, but most if not all of those words have always felt
> >as mere stopgaps to enable me to form anything resembling a text, and
> >I cringe at using them.
>
> Hear, hear! Maybe we should coin the term "slowlexer" for ppl like us
> ;)
>
> .oO( New thingy for conlanger-code: how many new words made per year
> per language, on average )
[...]

I have never felt comfortable with using automated tools to generate
entire lexicons. It feels too much like a relex of something. It's one
thing to have a program automatically fill out conjugated forms, it's
another thing altogether to have the roots automatically invented as
well.

For every argument for something, there is always an equal and opposite
argument against it. Debates don't give answers, only wounded or
inflated egos.