Your example is a compound sentence which consists of a main clause and a subordinate clause. The verbs in both are finite, although the verb in the subordinate clause may not be in the indicative mood, but in the subjunctive mood, or another mood. In Senjecas this particular sentence takes the subjunctive in both the main clause and the subordinate clause.
Charlie

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Daniel Rollin-Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, February 8, 2014 3:55:32 PM
Subject: "if... then...." Sentences; Dyirbal

Hi,

Could anyone explain the way(s) in which languages which only allow one
finite verb per sentence cope with "if... then..." sentences, e.g.:

"If you had arrived on time [then] you wouldn't have missed the crucial
first ten minutes".

Also, in the book "The Dyirbal Language of North Queensland", kindly
recommended to me by this list (thanks Sylvia), it explains how a verb with
an ergative subject can be followed by an intransitive verb with the same
(now nominative, or absolutive, subject) and vice versa; however, it
doesn't give technical  terminology for the phenomenon. I believe the first
example would be termed antipassive, but what is the term for the second?

Thanks,

Jeff