On 2/8/2014 7:19 PM, Eric Christopherson wrote:
> I'm wondering if any con- or natlang uses a<yh>  digraph. Recently,
> when we were discussing English<wh>, I was struck (not for the first
> time) by how aesthetically pleasing I think<wh>  is compared to<hw>

I used <yh> a long time ago, in my second conlang, Neesklaaz (as it was
then spelled, later Niskloz). I think it was pronounced /ç/, but in my
more recent vocabulary list the pronunciation is given as /ʝ/. So either
I'm misremembering or I decided to change the pronunciation.

I think we're so used to seeing "hy" (from Tolkien) and "hj" (from
Scandinavian languages) that "yh" and "jh" look confusing, like seeing
"hs" in Wade-Giles romanization. And when we do see "jh" it's in words
like "jhaptal" where it represents a breathy voiced affricate.