I consider the noun declinations of PIE and the derived IE languages to be
postpositions that have coalesced with the nouns they follow: quoting Latin:
civitas - city
civitatem - city TO (movement), DURING (temporal)
civitatis - city OF
civitati - city FOR, TO
civitate - city FROM

It combines the spatial and personal uses of the original postpositions; sandhi
perhaps took care of the details.

I myself don't see it as strange.

Wesley Parish