On 2/9/2014 4:00 PM, Alex Fink wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 15:24:30 -0500, Herman
> Miller<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>> I decided this would be a good time to organize some of my Tirëlat
>> grammatical notes and put them up on the web. So here's some notes
>> about nouns in Tirëlat.
>>
>> www.prismnet.com/~hmiller/lang/Tirelat/nouns.html
>
> Is the ablative only a secondary case for agents (nonvolitional /
> demoted / nominalised)?  It has no locative or adverbial or whatnot
> uses?  If so that's interesting; I think that's relatively rare, to
> have one of these cases used secondarily for core arguments not to be
> an extension of something else.

I don't have many examples of the ablative case in use. I think I tend
to forget that it even exists in Tirëlat.

I haven't used the ablative case to mean "from" yet, typically because I
use verbs of motion like "taga" (to leave) which just take a regular
object in the accusative case. Maybe something like this could work:

Lĕžałparhin my zerevi dy Kuzavar.
I rode the airship from Kuzavar.

>> I tried using an embedded font rather than the old "font face" tag,
>> so you won't have to download and install the Kjaginic font. Try
>> the link and see if that seems to work.
>
> Mm, works for me.  And seeing the Kjaginic script in use, the
> vertical-bar base of all the vowels stands out quite prominently for
> me as a repeating element within the words.  Also an interesting
> choice.  It runs against what I understand is the most expected type
> of iconicity, which came up in Jasper Danielson's LCC5 talk: bars
> perpendicular to the reading direction seem to interrupt the flow of
> the text as the eye runs across the line, and thus iconically would
> be favoured for more interrupty sounds, i.e. plosives.  For example,
> note that in Roman lowercase forms, which have had time to be shaped
> by these kinds of pressures, all the basic stop letters _p t k q b d
> g_ have vertical bars of greater than x-height in (if sometimes a bit
> bendy), whereas none of the basic vowel letters _a e i o u_ do -- a
> trait distilled and systematised in Tengwar.

Of the Sangari writing systems that I've developed so far, only Zengatai
(used for writing Lindiga, formerly known as Teascript) follows the
Tengwar pattern in that way. The other scripts are more like Visible Speech.

There's an example of Teascript used for writing Jarda at the bottom of
this page.

http://www.prismnet.com/~hmiller/lang/teascript.html

And I think that's my last post of the day.