On 2/8/2014 10:24 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:
> Hallo conlangers!
>
> On Friday 07 February 2014 21:57:50 BPJ wrote:

>>        I am -- or at least
>> have been in the past -- the kind of conlanger who creates many
>> languages to explore and express different interests, modes and
>> moods. Some of them are throw-away, although I've been known to
>> 'revive' or at least revisit langs which have been shelved for a
>> long time. I would say that have I a bond with all of those which
>> have had any staying power, and they all express my mind.
>> Hopefully their multiplicity indicates that I am not single-
>> minded! ;-)

I've almost always had more than one language at once. Even though
Tirëlat has been my main language lately, I keep thinking about getting
back to Jarda, or continuing to develop Lindiga as a Sangari language.
But in the pre-Conlang days I had quite a few languages, most of them
really sketchy, some no more than a page of handwritten notes.

> Yes.  My current main conlang, which could be called by current
> "heartlang", is Old Albic, a language of a fictional ethnic
> group of ancient Europe, but it is actually a language in which
> I try to express myself.  For the fictional conceit I have chosen
> for it, it is of course relevant whether this kind of language is
> indeed a plausible ancient European language.  But the main goal
> of Old Albic is actually to come up with a language that sounds
> "truthful" and "beautiful" to me.  With the first "purpose", as a
> fictional ethnic language, the appropriateness of the design can
> be tested to some degree, as we have some good ideas what such
> languages look like.  With the second "purpose", the relevant
> notions are entirely subjective.

I like the idea of having a "truthful" and "beautiful" language as a
goal. I know that I've rejected words because they feel "wrong" or just
plain ugly, but it's hard to quite grasp what it is about a word that
makes it beautiful. Often beauty comes from unexpected places.

> With me, conlanging is quite important, though not to such a
> extreme degree.  It is just some of several ways to express
> myself, besides music, writing (fiction and non-fiction) and
> drawing.  And I have observed that I am more and more drawn
> towards these other modes of self-expression at the cost of
> conlanging, not least because I see a better chance at
> reaching a significant audience along those ways than with the
> pretty esoteric art of conlanging.

I wonder if interest in music and languages commonly goes together?
They're both auditory experiences, so it seems that it would make sense.
I know that both my conlanging and music-writing started around the same
time. Well, I have even earlier examples of what could be called
primitive conlanging and music-writing. I don't know if there was ever a
time when I wasn't making up words or stringing notes together. To the
extent that I've had interest in writing and drawing, it's been
associated with the people who speak my conlangs and the worlds where
they live.

>> It seems to me from the descriptions given in this thread that
>> conlexicists are mostly proud over and mostly concerned with acting
>> out their conculture. I acted out my conculture quite a bit in
>> and before my early teens -- before the parental ban -- but have
>> no desire to do so now, especially as my conculture in no way
>> expresses my ideals of what a society should be like, but rather
>> the reverse: much of Sohlçan culture is more or less abhorrent to
>> modern western society since I think it's more interesting as a
>> fiction that way! In short not all concultures are apt for
>> enactment!

I wouldn't want to act out my concultures either, although if I could
somehow get my hands on their musical instruments, it would be fun to
see if I could learn to play them. I'm too introverted and not reckless
enough to be a Zireen, but the world of the Sangari might be more to my
liking. I could probably fit in there somewhere.

> The idea of an artificial IAL is an attractive one to me, but
> indeed it has so far been a tragic failure.  Right now, it seems
> that English - despite all shortcomings - is about to win the
> race.

I haven't said much about IALs since the Auxlang list split off, but
I've always found some of them interesting. It sounds like a nice idea
in theory that everyone could learn a simplified kind of language as a
second language. And as much as it would make things easier for native
English speakers like me, I think we could do better than English to
fill that role.

>>        and even the
>> most cacophonous engelang phonology has always aroused my
>> curiosity at least a bit!
>
> There are many conlangs which I find *ugly* but *interesting*.
> (The same holds true in some other arts as well.)

Cacophony can be its own peculiar kind of beauty.