On 2/12/2014 11:59 AM, Puey McCleary wrote:
>   Okay, I’m going to see how much, if any, I understand the Tirëlat Noun.
>   For purposes of fun.
>
> 1: Tirëlat nouns phrases begin with an article that inflects for gender,
> number, and case.  The genders are: animate&  inanimate.  The numbers are:
> singular&  plural.  The cases are: nominative, comitative, ablative,
> accusative, dative, locative, vocative,&  genitive.
> A:  Gender is only distinguished in the nominative singular and accusative
> singular article.
> B:  The vocative case has a single form for all genders and numbers.
> C:  The article is used with names (ie Sandrijoŋ, Kuzavar)
> D: (??) Mass nouns are consider singular

Yes, uncountable nouns in general are singular (vë rĕsarga "in your
vicinity / around you"). I guess "snow" is a good example of a mass
noun, and it's grammatically singular (sy faaz). Plural articles and
numbers are only used with countable nouns.

> E:  Adjectives and stative verbs may be found between the article and the
> noun
> F:  (??) Is a noun ever found without an article?

In the noun-noun possessive construction (like the example "linaar
jĕdzaj") there's only one article for both, and I believe that it
agreees with the possessed noun (i.e. "sy linaar jĕdzaj"). So "linaar"
in that case doesn't have its own article. But might be the first noun
that the article agrees with (i.e. "su linaar jĕdzaj"). I'll have to see
if I can find examples where that would make a difference. I'll need to
decide one way or the other.

There are other cases where nouns are used without articles, although I
haven't gone through to figure out the exact circumstances. Some are
older texts (which I should change), and some are in song lyrics (where
the article is omitted for space). I think that omitting the article is
a sign of more informal or telegraphic speech. But there might be
something related to grammar in these omissions, so I should go over them.

> 2:  Tirëlat nouns may take possessive prefixes.  The singular possessive
> prefixes lose their vowel (the schwa, written<<  ĕ>>) before a vowel.
>
> Sample Declension:
>
> I:  Linaar, “dragon,” – animate noun beginning with a consonant
> II:  Okhi, “guinea pig,” – animate noun beginning with a vowel

actually "ohki" (what I'm writing now as "ooki").

> III:  Zarhk, “yard,” – inanimate noun beginning with a consonant
> IV:  Ihdła, “ship,” – inanimate noun beginning with a vowel

That "dł" cluster has gone through some changes (even merging with /v/
at one point), but now it's "dl".

> Ee linaar!
> Ee lĕlinaar!
> Ee rĕlinaar!
> Ee jĕlinaar!
> Ee łelinaar!
> E rhylinaar!
> Ee vylinaar!

It's always a long /ee/.

I'm not actually sure if using a possessive suffix with the vocative is
all right. I never thought of using it. I guess though it's required
with words like "friend" (kervi or moža, somehow I ended up with two
words for "friend"). So at least "ee lĕmoža" is acceptable, if not "ee
lĕlinaar". And I do need to add a bit to the page about the possessive
prefixes being obligatory for nouns like "friend".