Why bother with the SAMPAs?? Some time back Irina posted this--
http://ipa.typeit.org/full/  which work purty good....

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:50 PM, Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Feb 13, 2014, at 1:16 AM, David Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> No, but I'm quite happy with this keyboard layout that uses dead keys:
>
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/SCRIPTs/page.php?item_id=ipa-sil_keyboard

+0.5 for this.

> It's become second nature for me, and there's a full PDF explaining exactly how to get every symbol, so even if you need a really rare one that you don't use frequently, it's there to help you find it.

I have used this on occasion, and it is very comprehensive and consistent, but I just haven't used it enough to internalize it, and would rather *not* have to internalize it if I can get away with just using X-SAMPA.