Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> http://leylinescomic.com/archive/clothing-exercise/
>
>It's a nice start, but there could be other reasons to cover up parts of
>the body besides just whether the culture considers it appropriate to
>display them. Reasons of hygiene, or protecting sensitive parts.†

Quite so. Or when they play Wandell's "Sack of Pylycundas" -- when they
get to the (somewhat) risque "Dance of the High Priestess of Lo!" Back in
the day, the Emperor's daughter was quite young when the opera came out
and so she wore her veil down so she wouldn't see the priestess showing
off bůth her shoulders Šnd her calves in such a rude fashion -- after all, only

Daine and women in the market go about like that! So, in deference to the
Emperor's daughter, everyone in the House likewise covered their faces
for the duration of the dance. To this day, it's still considered traditional
for audiences to cover during the dance. Of course, no one wears veils
anymore -- but everyone carries a fan with them, so, once the Priestess
arrives at center stage, FWLWLWLWLWLIPPP!, out rip hundreds of

fans. (Just mind those clever lads who've made sure to bring their fancy-
dan fans with the wee little decorative holes in the ribs! Gives a nice view
of the Priestess, those holes!)

Of course, given that the role of the High Priestess is always played by a
young male Daine has never given anyone, least of all that Emperor of so
long ago, a moment's pause as to *why* they need to avert their gazes
so! He's a guy after all! (And much to the disappointment of those poor
lads who just spent an extra two dollars on a fancy "Rumeliard fan, with
decorative grill-work", just so they could catch a glimpse of the "priestess"
showing off "her" shoulders!)

>Covering bald spots on your head. Preventing your touch from magically
>freezing things.

Yes, well, people who can't learn to control their thaumery need to be put
away somewhere until they can learn!

>Other issues come up with non-humans. Sangari people with long fur have
>difficulty pulling on clothing, so their clothes are designed to be
>wrapped or draped around their bodies, and tied or buttoned together to
>hold them on.

Quite so! For the Daine, wings are the issue, so shirts, sweaters, tunics,
coats and even ordinary cloaks are basically out of the question. Their
cloaks have a split up the back to go round their wings and may be
laced or buttoned or pinned at the nape of the neck. It's then wrapped
around the front in normal fashion.

Scarves and shawls are popular and can be worn many different ways
in order to avoid having to deal with putting clothes on over their wings.

>Now if I can only find some illustrations of clothes that are designed
>to be worn without pulling them on.

Ah! It just so happens, I have the things for you!

Observe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXy_6I2xBc

This, plus the reference to whiskey, also explains why it is the Scots lost to
the English every time going. All the English had to do was pull on their
trousers in the morning, but the Scots? Nae! They had to spend all of twenty
minutes pleating their plaids and wrapping up and making pockets and

getting the bits to go just right...

Or, try the dhoti!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9WY9gwuZN8

Or the sarong / pareo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9njURVBRaN4

Or the lungi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a58BaeiJmhs

Almost any of these describes Daine clothing pretty well, and is about
what any well dressed Daine will wear. Except in Westmarche, where they
are very much into brightly coloured leggings and scarves; and in Auntimoany,
the Daine there are partial to good old school knickerbockers and garishly
coloured leggings.

Even the Men of Auntimoany and the low countries of the Inner Sea have
taken a fancy to the Daine 'sarong'. Nicely embroidered (usually in gold on
red or blue on black cloth) and paired with a contrasting waistcoat (also
richly embroidered) and long-tailed matching overcoat (you didn't think this
would go unembroidered, did you?) and a pouffy-collared embroidered!
shirt of a very light material and a matching, tall, flat-topped, narrow brimmed

hat, a couple tasteful ear rings and a few knives sticking out here and there

and finish off with some sturdy pointy-toed shoes and you've got your well

dressed gravio ready to step out on the town.

Generally speaking, the choice of clothing color will depend on one's skin
color. The blaowmÍn often prefer red or light blue as their basic color, while
the blaqmÍn prefer black or dark green or dark blue. The Daine, blanckemÍn
for the most part, being Daine, go in for garish combinations of purple, green
and orange or bright blue, yellow and pink. (But then again, most Daine
males are color blind, so we can't really blame them...)

>Herman

Padraic