On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 20:51:03 -0500, Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Anyway, since these are taken from hand-written notes, there may be some
>errors in the transmission.  Also, due to the nature of the project, there
>was no one definite Kalusa.  This is just a collection of bits that I found
>here and there.

What were your source for these?  They seem to have a strangely skewed distribution, especially among the verbs and nouns: you've got loads of them up through N in the alphabet and a pittance afterwards!  For me this heightens the tragedy: there will have been lots of other words just as deserving of remembrance and rehoming as these below that are now lost to obscurity merely 'cause they started with a sound the Phoenicians put later.

I remember that Gary began compiling a dictionary on his webpages in alphabetical order, once.  Is this the result of that?

The dedicated might be able to extract more from the preserved materials at http://jimhenry.conlang.org/conlang/kalusa/ .

>Foto Photograph

Huh, I don't particularly remember any of that sort of bland international vocabulary adoption.  Must be post-classical.

>Names:
>A'Tuin

A'Tuin is the turtle who supports Pratchett's Discworld, and (intendedly) referred to same in the Kalusa material too, though not all of us were aware of this at the time!

>Presumably Kalusa is a noun or name in its own language ... though I can't
>know for sure.

Eh, if I encountered this in the wild, I wouldn't presume; there are really quite a lot of exonyms among the language names out there.

Alex