> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:31:29 -0800
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Resumptive Pronouns
> To: [log in to unmask]

> > On 10 February 2014 15:42, Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >> I'm considering whether or not Pandári will have resumptive pronouns
> >> in relative clauses.

> >> With resumptive pronouns:

> >> The boy that HE broke the window ran away. SUBJ
> >> The boy that I saw HIM ran away. D.O.
> >> The boy that I gave the book to HIM was happy. IND OBJ
> >> The boy that HIS mother spoke to us left already. GEN.?

ObGéarthnuns:

I realize it's a slightly different platypus, but your comments made me think of it. Géarthnuns goes somewhat resumptive where, at least, indirect questions are involved:

I don't know that who is going.
I don't know that he is doing what.
I don't know that he is reading whose book.
I don't know that he is going whither.
I don't know that he gave the pretty ribbon to whom.
etc.

I have assumed that this arose as a natural consequence of the non-fronting of WH-/QU- elements.

> > You might want to have a resumptive pronoun that is distinct from the
> > third-person pronoun, though, to help with clarity about which of perhaps
> > several pronouns in the subordinate clause is the resumptive one.

> That's a question I've had for a while, actually: how often are)
> resumptive pronouns distinct from other third-person pronouns?

> The same goes for logophoric pronouns.

Géarthnuns developed a 'resumptive' pronoun, not just limited to the third person, for subordinate clauses. I deliberately inserted it out of aesthetic and stylistic concerns. Since Géarthnuns is SOV, a lot of sentences up front looked like, "Si la, gu si..."; "San la, gu san..."; "Rheth la, gu rheth..." etc., which to me sounded a little too "I tought I taw a puddy tat." (it also played into Géarthnuns' recoiling aversion to expressions like "drum a drum", "dream a dream", and "sing a song" ("allumer une lumiere", blech)). Originally, the new (defective) pronoun was just meant to break it up when two of the same pronoun were perceived as too close to one another; when they got a little distance between them, as in, "I told my mother and father that I...", it was unnecessary or, at best, optional. Over time, however, it seems to have been seeping into logophoricity territory (though a more common strategy exists) or picking up some logophoric bennies along the way, and is insinuating itself into the grammatical hard drive as more than just a literary/rhetorical flourish. Not what I'd intended (found out about logophoricity only a year or two ago and who *knows* when resumptive pronouns appeared on the radar), but hey, we'll take it! :)

Kou