On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have never felt comfortable with using automated tools to generate
> entire lexicons. It feels too much like a relex of something. It's one
> thing to have a program automatically fill out conjugated forms, it's
> another thing altogether to have the roots automatically invented as
> well.

It doesn't seem like a relex to me, if you are using a carefully
hand-generated list of definitions to match the automatically created
word-forms to.  I did that with säb zjeda, taking the NSM list and
some material from Rick Harrison's ULD and deleting, merging,
spllitting and adding a bunch of items before I ran my generator
script, and assigning guesstimates of frequency-weight which the
script would use to decide which definitions get short roots and which
get longer ones.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/