On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 13 February 2014 05:36, Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone yet created an OS-level keyboard layout* that allows you to
>> type X-SAMPA or something close to it (e.g. CXS), and outputs actual IPA
>> characters?
>>
>> I'm not sure if my googling is not up to par, or if they just don't exist
>> yet.
>>
>> * I'm especially looking for Mac and Linux solutions. I have a few Vim
>> mappings like that, which do work nicely, but I'd like something that
>> doesn't depend on being in Vim.
>

> On Linux, any good input method framework will have an X-SAMPA input method
> :). I used to use uim, but have now switched to Ibus (for the simple reason
> that it was installed by default when I upgraded my computer ;) ). Both
> have an IPA-X-SAMPA input method that allows one to input IPA by typing
> X-SAMPA (true X-SAMPA, not CXS). It's generally a separate package from the
> main framework, but it's easy to install using your distribution's package
> manager :).
>
> If you're using Ubuntu, Ibus is nowadays installed by default, but you have
> to activate it to be able to use it (you'll find it in the Settings
> screen). Once that is done, you can configure it with the input methods you
> want to use. If the one you need is not in the list, it just means that
> it's packaged separately and you need to install it via the Software
> Centre. The relevant package is normally called "ibus-table-ipa-x-sampa".
>
> That's what I use myself, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I've found that the problem with iBus is that, with GNOME-based
desktops at least, the direct input uses precompiled compose sequences
and ignores the user .XCompose file, so you can't add your own compose
sequences without hacking iBus itself. UIM, on the other hand, doesn't
override XKB so you can e.g. make <Compose> H W produce Ƕ.

Right now I'm figuring out how to edit XKB files to make a keymap that
gives me access to dead keys with AltGr and combining diacritics on a
level 5 chooser (probably menu key).