On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM, David McCann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:31:56 -0800
> Garth Wallace <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Right now I'm figuring out how to edit XKB files to make a keymap that
>> gives me access to dead keys with AltGr and combining diacritics on a
>> level 5 chooser (probably menu key).
>
> Pretty simple: they're usually in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ and the
> syntax is easy. I have entries like
> key <AD01> {[ q, Q, U0294 ]}; // Ɂ
> key <AD12> {[ dead_psili ]};
> in my gb and gr files.
>
> I also use a lot of compose sequences, such as <Comp>lh for ɬ and
> <Comp>ny for ɲ.

It was actually the level 5 chooser that was giving me trouble. While
the GNOME keyboard prefs have options for selecting the key for it,
most instructions I'd found for editing keymaps didn't address
anything beyond level 3 (AltGr). All of the examples showed a list of
four character assignments per key. I think I've got it sorted out now
though.

This will be used in tandem with Compose. More characters, more! Mwahahahaha!!