Personally, I wouldn't go with words like that....all too similar.

Incidentally, one of the langs. I investigated in Celebes (for my diss.) had a final like [-Nk| ] where "k|" is supposed to indicate an unreleased /k/-- it descended, of course, from original *-k. Is that how "nasank" would be pronounced??

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:17 PM, Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On 2/12/2014 4:26 PM, Jim Henry wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM, H. S. Teoh<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> I have never felt comfortable with using automated tools to generate
>> entire lexicons. It feels too much like a relex of something. It's one
>> thing to have a program automatically fill out conjugated forms, it's
>> another thing altogether to have the roots automatically invented as
>> well.
>
> It doesn't seem like a relex to me, if you are using a carefully
> hand-generated list of definitions to match the automatically created
> word-forms to.  I did that with säb zjeda, taking the NSM list and
> some material from Rick Harrison's ULD and deleting, merging,
> spllitting and adding a bunch of items before I ran my generator
> script, and assigning guesstimates of frequency-weight which the
> script would use to decide which definitions get short roots and which
> get longer ones.

I did something along those lines with Kisuna. That was really more of
an experiment on whether a language with only 6 segmental phonemes
(guess which ones) would be usable, though. Most of the Zharranh
vocabulary also was randomly assigned to ULD entries, and as I've
mentioned, I used to fill gaps in Jarda and Tirėlat that way. I've
thrown away quite a few of those words, but some of them stayed in.

I do wonder if something like Kisuna would ever develop as a spoken
language, though. I can't find any actual text, but I've got the
vocabulary list. It ends up looking something like this:

nasan    619    just, fair, equitable [aj]
nasana    311    stupid [aj]
nasani    5C4    whistle [v]
nasank    09C    organ (of body)
nasans    482    slowly (with little speed) [av]
nasansi    4C7    potassium

Of course, for this to work, word boundaries must be audible. But that
can be done with fixed stress and allophones.