On 3/7/2014 9:27 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:

> ObConlang: I finished defining the names for fingers and toes in Moten. It
> took a while, but this thread was great in inspiring me! :)
> As I mentioned before, there is the unwieldy _ipe|lastu|l_, which properly
> means "indicator". Since all fingers can be referred to by that name (not
> only the forefinger), maybe Moten speakers don't point with a single finger
> but with the entire hand.
> There is, however, a shorter word: _zan_, which properly means "digit,
> finger, toe" (while _ipe|lastu|l_ refers to fingers only). It's usually
> used to refer to fingers rather than digits in general (like many languages
> do), and to refer to "toes" specifically one usually uses the compound
> _bnamzan_, literally "foot-digit". The word _zanej_: "finger ring" is
> probably also derived from it, although using a suffix that is not
> productive anymore (it's the only word I know with such a suffix at the
> moment).
> Moten, naturally, has names for the various fingers of the hand:
> - _za|not_: "thumb". Literally "main/essential finger". Interestingly, it's
> nearly homophonous with _|za|not_: "source, origin".
> - _gebezan_: "forefinger". Literally "speaking finger". Not sure what this
> means. Maybe a culture where people show their forefinger when they wish to
> say something...
> - _zanfin_: "middle finger". Literally "tall finger".
> - _zantel_: "ring finger". Literally "other finger". I guess Moten speakers
> had the same problem as Mandarin speakers, with all the fingers named
> except for the 4th one, so they just called it the "other one" ;).
> - _zanmiko_: "little finger". Literally "far finger" (basically the finger
> farthest away from the thumb on one hand).
> _Zanmiko_ has a synonym _zansin_ (the diminutive of _zan_). But besides
> "little finger", _zansin_ also means "little toe" (the smallest toe of the
> foot).
> Besides the little toe, the only other toe that has a special name in Moten
> is the big toe, which is _ugenon_ (from _uge_: "step, pace". Literally, it
> means "artist of the step"). The other toes have no specific name. Notice
> that while _ugenon_ means "big toe", it can also be used with big animals,
> in which case it means "hoof".

I haven't thought about naming individual fingers other than the thumb.
Tirëlat has:

tuva "thumb"
larma "finger"
sanëlarma "toe" (foot-finger)

It happens that the word for "pointer" is "rhuva". It's nice that this
rhymes with "thumb", so I'll adopt that for the index finger. The middle
finger, sensibly, will be the "desalarma" (middle finger). For the
remaining finger, I think I'll call it the "lëëlwi larma" (outer finger).

Those of us who have another finger between the middle and outer fingers
would call it the "extra finger" (ježi larma).

Herman