On 13 March 2014 17:24, Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The language I'm working on has the propriety of joining verbs (or nouns)
> together to narrow down its semantic field to the intersection between
> them.

For nouns, my own Moten has the particularity of having something that
could be called "clarification compounds", i.e. compounds created
specifically to narrow down the specific shade of meaning one wants to use.
For instance, look at the noun _|no_: "ice, frost, snow, icy cold, glass
(material)". A bit broad, what? ;) But when one wants to specifically talk
about glass, one can use the compound _|nolum_, literally "fake ice". _|No_
can still be used to mean "glass", but one can disambiguate if necessary by
using _|nolum_.
Another example, closer to your idea of joining two nouns to narrow down
the semantic field to their intersection, is _|za|not_. _|Not_ is another
one of those broad nouns, and means "source, origin, cornerstone, principal
part, essential, main, chief, head (of a body)". _|Zaj_ means "start,
beginning". Combining them forms _|za|not_: "source, origin". Like the
previous example, it is used to disambiguate, when one wants to focus on
the "source" meaning of _|not_.

> Well, I'm looking for ANADEWs or ACADEWs (ALADEWs in general). The most
> similar thing I can remember is Nicholas Ostler's description of how aztecs
> would repeat the same sentence with near-synonyms for the verbs.

For an ANADEW, you might want to look at the etymology of many Chinese
2-syllable nouns. Often, their meaning looks like the intersection of the
meanings of the two syllables they are made of (sometimes the two syllables
seem to be pure synonyms!), and I've heard that many of them may have been
"clarification compounds", somewhat like the Moten ones, but developed not
because of nouns with overbroad meanings, but because sound changes were
creating too many homophones.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)