I think this might be related to _pidgins_. Or look for "Chinook Trade Jargon" which AIUI was used by the US West coast Native Americans who didn't speak each others' languages but still traded (it may include some English words too, I don't know). Then there are the trade languages (are they documented?) used by English/American traders in China. One word I know of is "godown" = 'warehouse', which shows up in Malay/Indo. as 'gudang'. Maybe there are some words in the works of Joseph Conrad?

Or study loan words--- e.g. Engl. "bungalow" < India's Bangalore region; "pajamas" (said to be < Hindi); or "ketchup/catsup" apparently < Malay kecap ['ketSap] 'soy sauce' itself < Chinese (though I've never heard what the Chin. words mean). (though it could be Chin > Engl too?) How it went from soy sauce to a tomato based sauce is unknown to me.....