On 15/03/2014 15:34, Jeffrey Daniel Rollin-Jones wrote:
> There was an awful lot of contact between the coasts
> between the Roman retreat and the Norman invasion:
> indeed, the whole reason English is a Germanic language
> is because German, and later Norse, tribes, invaded,
> whilst the Norman Conquest was justified not least in
> terms of Duke William's familial ties to the English
> throne. Before that, not only were the Celtic and,
> later, the Anglo-Saxon tribes converted to Christianity
> by people crossing over from the continent, but a
> certain Northumbrian scholar-prince whose name escapes me
> was one of Charlemagne's principal advisors.

All true *in our timeline*.  But if any Romance lang took
root in Britain we have to have a different timeline.
Andrew Smith's Brithenig developed in the Ill Bethisad; mine
developed in the "British Alternative Romance
Timeline" (BART):
http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Britannic/index.html

BART is not up for discussion.  It is only the
_conlang_ itself that concerns me at the moment.

--
Ray
http://www.carolandray.plus.com
[J.G. Hamann, 1760]