On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 07:26:45 +1100, Siva Kalyan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>If BRom is more or less an extension of the Picard side of the continuum,
>then it would share some innovations with Picard (and maybe some different
>ones with Norman?). But it would also have unique innovations of its own
>(especially as it's at the very edge of the Romance area), and it's not
>clear how one would come up with these (aside from simply copying sound
>changes from Welsh or English, which is precluded here).

Mm, I was worrying along similar lines when I wrote Ray offlist, and this is the context in which he mentioned [1] as being an innovation that would count as "unique".  Perhaps this is some weak justification for keeping it?

>BTW, among "areal features", you mention "retention of [θ] and [ð]". IIRC,
>both Proto-Celtic and Proto-Gmc have these sounds—but Latin of course
>doesn't (certainly not the second one). Would these sounds be created by a
>sound change, then, as in Brithenig?

Certainly not the *second* one?  It's [D] for which I see most clearly what Ray meant: as he writes in
  http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Britannic/preliminary.html
there was an early frication of original intervocalic voiced stops in (this part of?) western Romance, including [d] > [D].  I can't think of any direct Romance survivals of this [D] atm but English attests them, in e.g. _faith_ < an Old French _feid_ with dental fricative < Latin FIDEM.

(Brithenig can be seen as retaining this [D] too, though I don't know whether Andrew Smith meant that of it or whether it was purely a bogosity.  The rest of its dental fricatives are inarguably bogus, I think.)

Alex