On 25 March 2014 15:09, Ralph L. DeCarli <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:21 AM, Matthew DeBlock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> MMORPGs are just "interactive conworlds".. so I wonder... how about an RPG designed to promote in-game conlanging. With the right design one might be able to "force them to do it"
>>

> Rather than have everyone speak your conlang, you might have one
> 'boss' that could only be passed after an appropriate conversation in
> the conlang.
>
> The players could be given a small set of words to get them started
> and be required to decipher additional words by talking to the boss,
> using the conlang.

There is a card game called Serpent's Tongue that works kind of like
this: http://www.becomemagi.com/overview/
It can be "gamed" by playing with sufficiently permissive opponents.
Cards have the words of spells in the magical language printed on the
back, and casting a spell requires picking up a spell card such that
the words face the opponent, reciting your memorization of that spell,
and having your opponent confirm whether or not you actually said it
right, based on what they can read off the back of the card.
You're *supposed* to actually learn the language, but you can get by
just by memorizing the set phrases on the backs of cards if you want
to, so not quite up to the level of requiring a conversation with the
Boss (of course, one wonders how a conversation with a video game boss
would be graded; either you solve some serious NLP and AI problems, or
there's a bottleneck where players have to wait for the GM to be
available to talk to).

(I happen to know about this particular game because they interviewed
for a job developing their magical language a couple of years ago; I
ended up not getting that job, or else y'all would've heard a *lot*
more about before now. :)

-l.