By the way, this discussion is also pertinent to other alternate languages,
such as Carrajinna and Wenedyk ...

Looking at the following document, which I don't think existed the last
time I looked at this language, it occurs to me that the complexities
between art and language in an alternate world are so mind bogglingly
explosive, that I'm not entirely sure where to start:

http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Britannic/preliminary.html#ML_in_BART

Given the general tone of the project, that is, an attempt to recreate what
Vulgar Latin might have been like in such a timeline, perhaps similar rules
could be applied to literary figures as well.  Rules for an alternate
history are of course a literary device, but as long as they are enforced
strictly, they should have the same flavor as these linguistic rules.
 (Examples of "rules" for an alternate history can perhaps be found under
George Bailey and Clarence in "It's a Wonderful Life," but also in many
other places).

My guess is that, most consistent with the tone of what we know about
Bretainois, is that, after the point of divergence, not a single human
being in our timeline can exist.  Individuals will simply have a different
genetic makeups.  The genetics of the population as a whole will probably
be about the same, I would guess, but as time goes on, these changes will
ripple outwards, and no single individual from our world would (or could)
ever be born.  Now, whether a butterfly affect will touch the New World or
not (and when) I cannot say.  But my guess is that Chaucer, Shakespeare,
Milton, and all the rest simply cannot exist, and hence, Bretainois will be
affected in different ways.

It may be possible to speak of some literary figure of roughly the same
socio-economic background doing something within roughly a few generations
as our figure, but, once again, I don't know the rules.  I would guess that
an Other Chaucer and Other Shakespeare can only be influential for a brief
bit of time.

It's likely that at a certain time someone will write a dictionary and
standardize spelling ... but in terms of literature (and the enriching of
the language therefrom), given the document above, I'm not entirely sure
that anything like our Lewis Carroll or Baum or Tolkien would ever exist.
 Completely different writers with completely different innovations would
fill that gap, surely.

##

As I wrote before:

"Also, names are all going to be different.  Save for the names borrowed
from other places ...which in turn are going to be influenced by an extra
Romance language at their doorstep."

By "from other places" I meant "non-Bretainois speaking places," as can be
understood from context.  So yes, German and Norman names would be the
same.  But, given what is known about the Point of Divergence, as well as
the realism of this project, I don't think that we can really expect any
real person from our timeline to have existed after the 5th century of so
-- though the general shape of history may continue to be the same.

So ... perhaps a completely new batch of literary figures will have to
exist in BART ...