2014-03-27 17:34, Puey McCleary skrev:
> Also, names are all going to be different.

Not totally, for some of them.

There might well have been a general-ruler down the line who
fought against enemies of Bretain -- Scoti, Picti or maybe even
Angles -- whose name was whatever Artorius becomes in Old
Bretanese. Whether he became famous through victory or defeat is
another matter.

Chaucer is a Norman name, and I'm sure there exists a reflex of
CALCIARIUS in Bretanese, since evryone needs a shoemaker, and
certainly some, perhaps also a poet, having it as surname.

Morris is ultimately Latin Mauritius, and I bet there are some
named after the French saint Guilhem
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_of_Gellone> (around whom a
lot of yarn has been spinned in modern times), or even after
William the Coqueror, who under ceteris paribus existed in BART
too. (The Conquest was in no way an ethnic affair, and even OTL
the Norman rule hardly became one, pace Walter Scott et alii. In
BART the second generation of Normans would of course speak
Bretanese!)

Mr. Shagsper is unfortunately harder to make Latinate, though
there must have been many *LANCIARIUS in BART, some even DE VADO
STRATO AD AVONA, whatever these etymologies will become in
Bretanese.

"Lewis Carroll" including his real first name Charles are
Germanic names, but passed through Latin and French, and I see no
reason they could not pass into Bretanese through French and
Latin as well. Clovis was Clovis and Charlemagne was Charlemagne
in BART too, under the ceteris paribus principle. His real
surname Dodgson is, though hard to see, ultimately from Roger,
another Frenchified Germanic name, which the Normans no doubt
brought over and planted on Bretanese soil in some form in BART
too. Lutwidge is of course a form (from where?) of the same name
as Lewis/Louis.

Pre-Raphaelites? Surely there were some Romantics who regarded
the Renaissance as a misfortune in BART too, again under
ceteris paribus.

What sayeth Ray?