On 27/03/2014 11:40, Puey McCleary wrote:
> Well, so far I've found Bretainois ... or Bretaineis ...
> to be quite fascinating, though, alas, for reasons of
> time, I really haven't had a chance to chime it.  This
> project almost makes me want to create a descendant of
> Latin myself.  Though in my case I'd probably come up
> with a scenario where the Roman Empire colonized ancient
> Mars.

          :-D

[snip]

> Nevermind.  I expect a full Bretainois language
> eventually.

I hope so before I quit this mortal coil    ;)

> Perhaps the entire Bible too, translated from the
> Vulgate.  Maybe Hamlet too.

Not sure about those - they may have to be done by another.

On 27/03/2014 11:55, Alex Fink wrote:
> Hi, Ray,
>
> I see you've begun altering your page on vowels to
> replace Bretainois [1] with [i], but there's at least one
> remaining to be changed: the very start of section
> 3.3.2.2 still asserts there are "two high vowels - /i/
> and /ɨ/".

Not on the version on my own server, it isn't   :)

However, I've now transferred the latest to the PlusNet
server, so all should be well for the moment.  I'm afraid
this page will keep changing, probably for some time.  I'll
try to keep the public version as up to date as I can.

On 27/03/2014 10:00, R A Brown wrote:
[snip].

> Yes, i was told that if I adopted _Bretainois_ people
> would pronounce it /brətenwa/    :(
>
> One would hope, however, that in context one would
> realize it wasn't French.   Darn French - why couldn't
> their spelling reflect the pronunciation a bit more
> closely!  ;)

Consider, if I had written _Bretainuas_ it wouldn't have
looked very French; but, of course, it would rhyme with
_Danoise_ and _Suédoise_.  But tho _Bretainois_ rhymes with
_toys_, it's deemed too French!

But i think one must also bare in mind that if Bretainois
had been affected by the change /ei/ -> /oi/, it does not
mean that /oi/ would have suffered no further change!

Consider, we know that Old French /oi/ has changed to  /ɛ/
in some words and /wa/ in others.  IIRC there is one dialect
in which old /oi/ simply became /o:/.  There are two things
to consider:
- will Bretainois have the change of free tonic /e/ to /ei/
or to /oi/?
- how will diphthongs develop with Bretainois.

I'm just concentrating on the first of these two points at
the moment.

Thinks: maybe because the name may well finish up
differently I ought just use the Latin *Brittaniensis as the
name for the moment??

--
Ray