From: R A Brown <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 7:36
Subject: Re: Correct my Latin

On 22/03/2014 20:28, Siva Kalyan wrote:
> I would still go with Ray's correction of my attempt (at
> the end of his e-mail below): Salvētē, quī ad nostrās
> ōrātiōnēs dē fictūrā linguārum eārumque fictōribus
> auscultandās vēnistis.

I depend what sort of Latin you want, I guess.  The version
above could pass for Classical Latin, but:

" bene venisti ad linguificium, orationem per interrete de
linguis exstructis eisque qui eas creant"

... is distinctly non-Classical in feel, tho it is
grammatically correct. "orationem per interrete" is a 'man
in the moon' construction which is eschewed in the Classical
language. i.e. prepositional phrases are always adverbial.
The use of such phrases adjectivally is a mark of late
and Medieval Latin.

> I have nothing to add to his comments on the original
> version, except that it seems a bit odd to "welcome
> someone to conlanging" (while it is meaningful, it's not
>  what's intended here). A possible (if unwieldy)
> translation of "Conlangery" could be, "Ācroāsēs dē artē
> linguās fingendī", literally, "Lectures on the art of
> creating languages".

Tho _ācroāsēs_ threw me at first; it's actually a Greek
borrowing and not very common in the Classical language;
also, of course, "ācroāsēs dē artē ..." is a 'man in the
moon' construction     :)

I must admit, I didn't spot the difference between
'conlanging' and 'conlangery' at first. As there is no
English morpheme -ery, I assume it is "conlanger + -y", and
that it is the third of the -y suffix meanings listed in my
dictionary, i.e. "forming nouns denoting a quality, state,
action or entity."

"ad linguificium" means 'to conlanging.'

Let's rethink.  In Classical Latin we have _artificium_
"skill serviceable in the attainment of any object,
ingenuity, art, dexterity, artifice, cunning" etc.   The
person who practices _artificium_ is an _artifex_ (genitive:
_artificis_).  From this was derived an adjective
_artificiālis_ "of or pertaining to _artificium_.  The
neuter plural of this is used by Quintillian as a noun to
mean "things conformable with _artificium_."

So, following these examples, we would have:
linguificium [neuter sing. noun] = conlanging
linguifex (gen.: linguificis) [noun, masc. or fem.] = conlanger
linguificiālis [adjective] = of or pertaining to conlanging.
linguificiālia [neuter plural noun] = 'conlangery'

So, following Peter's version (where, I notice, "you" has
now become singular), we could have:
"bene venisti ad linguificialia ....

> Also, a podcast couldn't be an "oratio", because it's
> not just a *single* speech, but rather a *series* of
> speeches (i.e. "oratio" is more likely to refer to a
> single episode).

True.

On 22/03/2014 21:07, Wesley Parish wrote:> "ars linguae
faciendum" would fit very well

Yikes!! ... and be totally ungrammatical!

On 22/03/2014 21:09, Wesley Parish wrote:
> I personally would use 'saluete' because "bene venisti"
> still sounds out of place to me.

As I have observed in an earlier email:
_saluēte/ salvēte_ is Classical (and common enough in later
& Medieval Latin)

_bene uenisti/ bene venisti_ is Medieval (which is why I
haven't used any macrons).

Also, the first is plural "you", the second is singular "you").

It depends what sort of Latin you want (and how many people
you are adressing).  As podcasts were unknown to the ancient
world, it a moot point    :)

On 22/03/2014 21:20, Siva Kalyan wrote:
> As I've said, it would be "ars linguās fingendī".

With genitive of the *gerund* _fingendī_ and _linguās_ as
the direct object of _fingendī_.  But a gerund with a direct
object is normally avoided in Classical Latin; that language
preferring to use the *gerundive* (a passive adjective),
i.e. ars linguārum fingendārum.

But while Caesar was quite happy to write things like _ars
linguārum fingendārum_, Cicero seems to have put greater
emphasis on rhythm and sound of the language (he was an
orator) and would certainly have gone for _ars linguās
fingendī_ to avoid the repetition of -ārum, which he
considered ugly.

But IMHO neither _ars linguārum fingendārum_ nor _ars
linguās fingendī_ is needed here.

--
Ray