Hallo conlangers!

On Sunday 23 March 2014 18:04:34 David McCann wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:38:54 +0100
>
> Thomas Ruhm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Sometimes people try to revive languages which are not well
> > documented. I know three examples. Those are Galician, Lusitanian and
> > Palawa Kani. It is hard to find information about them, because their
> > recreators make much of a secret of them.
>
> Galician? But there are over a million speakers, an academy, and it's
> used in schools.

He meant Gallaecian, the extinct Celtic language of ancient
northwestern Spain. Galician of course is a living language.

> As for Lusitanian, with only half a dozen
> inscriptions, there's not much chance of a revival. Palawa Kani has a
> Wikipedia entry, but no links.

My own Old Albic is an attempt at the "re-creation" of a language
spoken in pre-Celtic Britain.  But as we know close to nothing
about the pre-Celtic languages of Britain, it cannot really be a
reconstruction or a "revival", hence I call it a "re-creation"
instead.  We can only make guesses about what was spoken in pre-
Celtic Britain.

One guess is that, as Britian takes part in the "Old European
Hydronymy", that language (or better, those languages) probably
was related to the pre-IE languages of what is now France and of
Central Europe; and another guess, also based on the properties
of the Old European Hydronymy and on likely Neolithic migration
patterns, is that the languages in question were related to
Indo-European, branching off at a point when Pre-PIE had only
three vowels, no ablaut, an agglutinating morpholohy and active-
stative morphosyntactic alignment (again, guesses, this time
based on internal reconstruction attempts from PIE; other people
have made different guesses about the same thing).

So I took these guesses and started building a conlang around
them.  The (still unfinished) result is Old Albic (and its
cousins, the Hesperic languages).

I would *never* claim that the people in Britain about 600 BC
actually spoke Old Albic!  Their languages may have been
similar - or totally different.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
"BÍsel asa …am, a …am atha cvanthal a cvanth atha …amal." - SiM 1:1