I'm 20/male and this feature's already pretty pervasive in my speech and
the speech of my male and female friends. I once knew a girl (from Cali)
who spoke ONLY in vocal fry, and that was a little off-putting. But I know
I mainly use it at the ends of sentences when talking to someone or when
I'm drawing out a word in order to get my train of thought (like when you
pause in the midst of a conversation and say a long word like
"wellllllllll....," sometimes those pensive words are fried.) I've been
interested in it recently, too, especially because of the negative views of
it, but I think it's a genuinely interesting innovation and I wonder if it
could evolve in 1000 years into something phonemic.

Zach

rulalí 'aa! · 身先朝露 - 画龙点睛 · portfolio <http://zwelldesigns.com>