From: R A Brown <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 14:33
Subject: Re: Correct my Latin

On 22/03/2014 12:01, BPJ wrote:
> To begin with it's certainly "linguificium"

Yes.

> if not "glossopoësiam". "Ficatum" means 'stuffed with
> figs' y'know!

	:)

> Since everything Greek is fair game in Latin I feel
> glossopoea/glossopoësis/-sia, glossopoëta and
> glossopoema to be felicitous terms.

If a Greek-derived form is preferred, I would argue for
_glossopoeia_.
http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Glosso/Glossopoeia.html#derivation

[snip]

> "Bene ueniti" doesn't sound right, or at least not
> Classical, though I'm too far from my books to look it up
> ATM

It's not right in any sort of Latin!  Mainly because
_veniti_ (or _ueniti_) ain't Latin.

On 22/03/2014 12:18, François Rémond wrote:
> I would think it is syntaxically correct,

No, it isn't.  There are several syntactic errors.

[snip]
> More idiomatically, One could say something like :
>
> - bene veniti estis --> bene venistis (a form of
> greeting attested in medieval latin charts)

The perfect participle of _venire_ is, in fact, VENTUM -
and, as the verb is intransitive, the perfect participle may
be used *only* impersonal constructions, e.g. ad castrum
ventum est - they/people/we [etc.] came to the camp.

If you want to use "you are welcome" i.e. You have come
well/ vous êtes bien venus - the indeed it is 'bene
venistis'.  I have no doubt it does occur as a greeting in
Medieval Latin.

The Classical Latin is _salvete_.

[snip]

> - I'm not sure the comma would be sufficiently
> significant in latin grammar in the sentence
> "linguificatum, orationem per interrete...", to mean
> "Conlangery *which is* the Podcast...".

Comma is OK.

[snip]
> - For the last part of of the sentence, I think the
> natural latin form would be more synthetic : Why not try
> something like " et de creatoribus eorum" instead of "
> et de hominibus qui eum creant" ?

_hominibus qui ..._ is not natural.  It sounds as though you
want to single out only humans who create languages   :)

The idiomatic Latin is simply: eis qui ...

But _eum_ is completely wrong.  It's singular masculine;
_lingua_ (language) is feminine, and we want the plural.
the pronoun should be _eas_.

On 22/03/2014 13:10, Siva Kalyan wrote:
> My attempt:
>
> Tē salvēre jubēmus, quī ad nostrās ōrātiōnēs dē fictūrā
> linguārum eārumque fictōribus auscultandum vēnistī.
>
> Literally: "We bid you to be healthy, (you) who have
> come to listen to our speeches about the invention of
> languages and about their (i.e. the languages')
> inventors."

This is nice, and is not obviously Latin "translationese"  :)

But in the _ad+gerund(ive) construction, we need the
gerundive here as the verb is transitive, so:
.... quī ad nostrās ōrātiōnēs ... auscultandās.

_Tē salvēre jubēmus_ could, of course, be simply _salve_   :)

It should be noted that in Siva's version "you" is singular.
  Peter's version implies he wants "you" to be plural.  If so
then amend it thus:

Vōs salvēre jubēmus/ Salvētē,
quī ad nostrās ōrātiōnēs dē fictūrā linguārum eārumque
fictōribus auscultandās vēnistis.

--
Ray
http://www.carolandray.plus.com