From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Brown, Julie C. [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 3:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: words and expectations

I have rapidly received a number of interesting responses to this question, on both sides.  Thank you!  I think there is clearly interest in this topic, so I encourage those who feel comfortable to respond to the whole group.  The beautiful thing about a forum like this is that we can share thoughts and ideas.  I'm also happy to get private responses for those who aren't comfortable posting publicly.  Since some of these are a little personal, so I don't intend to summarize and/or repost them to the group.

I already a few follow-up questions:

1. Is it different if I am sincere, i.e. I really believe in my work and my institution and am only putting in words what I believe?

2.  What if I only say it to parents who look anxious or kids who seem scared and seem to need reassurance?  Is that different?
(I have said this occasionally to anxious parents or kids and my informal impression is that they seem visibly reassured.  Some parents will allow a few tears at that point, as if there is a release of tension.)

3.  I have a colleague who often says 'you have come to the right place'.  Does this feel different, in terms of intention, or possible manipulation?

Julie