We are in a very large combined ED (130K combined visits) and volume has been increasing on the adult side.  However, we have stopped the "cross-coverage" idea as it caused more problems than it solved.  One thing no one has mentioned is the nursing staff, who is generally pretty unhappy caring for adults.  What we run into more is the general ED doc working in the peds side that wants to care for a parent-child diad in the peds ED, we get variable cooperation from the RN staff.  In summary, we don't have our PEM docs see adults or even post-partum teens until they are 6 weeks out from delivery.  Ultimately I think this is safest.

James