In Maimonides reduction by enema is done without sedation, I guess that this is a historical process , from the time that sedation in the pediatric ER was not common.
There is also a staffing issue of taking an attending out of the ER for a long time since the expectation will be that we and not anesthesia will do it...

GIORA Winnik MD
Maimonides Brooklyn NY

Sent from my iPad

On May 12, 2014, at 12:12 PM, "Giora Weiser" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to find out what is the common practice in the big world...
> Here in Israel, when a child is diagnosed with an intussusception he will go to the radiology department for an air enema. There is a wide range of opinions whether sedation should be given for this procedure. The latest article that actually comes from Israel showed success with sedation.
> I was wondering what is accepted in the bigger medical centers? Is sedation used? Is it given by the EM people? A sedation service? Anesthisiology?
> Anyone know of good literature on the subject...?
>
> Thanks for the info,
> Giora Weiser
> Shaare Zedek Medical Center
> Jerusalem, Israel

> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

This e-mail has been scanned by McAfee Managed Email Content Service.  To report
any issues regarding e-mail SPAM ONLY, please call the Helpdesk at

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html