Children's of Minnesota, generally no sedation.  A few of our peds radiologist have suggested reductions go easier with crying/vasalva... observational data.  Also, we are almost exclusively air contrast enema in case there is a perforation, less risk of peritonitis from barium.
Joe Arms

>>> Srisankar Chinta  05/12/14 6:00 PM >>>
St. Louis children's hospital - no sedation.

Sri S Chinta

On Monday, May 12, 2014, Gill Winnik  wrote:

> In Maimonides reduction by enema is done without sedation, I guess that
> this is a historical process , from the time that sedation in the pediatric
> ER was not common.
> There is also a staffing issue of taking an attending out of the ER for a
> long time since the expectation will be that we and not anesthesia will do
> it...
>
> GIORA Winnik MD
> Maimonides Brooklyn NY
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 12, 2014, at 12:12 PM, "Giora Weiser" >
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to find out what is the common practice in the big world...
> > Here in Israel, when a child is diagnosed with an intussusception he
> will go to the radiology department for an air enema. There is a wide range
> of opinions whether sedation should be given for this procedure. The latest
> article that actually comes from Israel showed success with sedation.
> > I was wondering what is accepted in the bigger medical centers? Is
> sedation used? Is it given by the EM people? A sedation service?
> Anesthisiology?
> > Anyone know of good literature on the subject...?
> >
> > Thanks for the info,
> > Giora Weiser
> > Shaare Zedek Medical Center
> > Jerusalem, Israel
> >
> > For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] the message: info PED-EM-L
> > The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
> >                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html

> This e-mail has been scanned by McAfee Managed Email Content Service.  To
> report
> any issues regarding e-mail SPAM ONLY, please call the Helpdesk at
> 718-283-MIS1________________________________________________
>
> For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] the message: info PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

Sri Sankar Chinta
Pediatric Emergency Medicine,
Washington University in St Louis, MO, 63123

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html

Confidentiality Statement:
This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential
and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the
person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of
this email/fax is not the intended recipient or his or her
agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email/fax is prohibited. If you
have received this email/fax in error, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and deleting this email or
destroying this facsimile immediately.