From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Flood [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2014 5:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Intussusception and sedation

Whether this is urban legend or fact, I was taught during my fellowship
that sedation should not be given for air contrast and/or barium enemas
since it relaxes the anal sphincter, making the pressure seal less than
optimal for reductions.

Bob Flood
Saint Louis University

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Giora Weiser <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to find out what is the common practice in the big world...
> Here in Israel, when a child is diagnosed with an intussusception he will
> go to the radiology department for an air enema. There is a wide range of
> opinions whether sedation should be given for this procedure. The latest
> article that actually comes from Israel showed success with sedation.
> I was wondering what is accepted in the bigger medical centers? Is
> sedation used? Is it given by the EM people? A sedation service?
> Anesthisiology?
> Anyone know of good literature on the subject...?
>
> Thanks for the info,
> Giora Weiser
> Shaare Zedek Medical Center
> Jerusalem, Israel

> message: info PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html

The information contained in this electronic e-mail transmission and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom or to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure of this communication and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and electronic mail, and delete the original communication and any attachment from any computer, server or other electronic recording or storage device or medium. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of any attorney-client, physician-patient or other privilege.