Wouldn't Semetic languages like Arabic and Hebrew count?  Arabic article
is always al and Hebrew article is always ha  (both with phonetic
variations, such as Arabic mutating the L to match the initial consonant
of the following word, and Hebrew modifying the vowel depending on the
first vowel in the following word, but no gender-based modifications).
And both languages have strong gender systems.

Actually, the Celtic languages do that too, don't they?  Irish article
is always an (pl. na) but Irish has gender as well.  Same with the other
Celtic languages.