2014-05-19 09:33, Siva Kalyan skrev:
> Just to be clear, I wasn’t suggesting that the partitive is synonymous with the accusative (modulo telicity of the verb). Rather, I was suggesting that it codes both the “partitive” and “accusative” categories (so it can’t apply to the demonstrative, because that would violate its partitive meaning). In cases other than the accusative, the partitive and non-partitive forms of a noun would be identical.

But the Finnish partitive can be used for predicative complements
too. which are hardly accusative.

I'm unsure whether it can properly encode indefinite nominative
of mass nouns, and it can be hard to tease the answer out of my
wife as she is not linguistically-minded. I'd have to come up
with some sentence which would likely exemplify the
construction and ask her to translate it, or write down two
sentences and ask her which of them is grammatical ("can you
say that?") but chances are she would hang up on some *other*
ungrammaticality I'd committed. Field linguistics at my own
kitchen table, sort of! :-)

/bpj