Sometimes it seems like my language Tirëlat is a character with a mind
of its own. I wanted to try translating a line from a Japanese song,
"Koi wa Sensou" ("Love is War").

もう行く場がないわ この恋の熱量
mou yukiba ga nai wa   kono koi no netsuryou

One problem is that I don't know Japanese, so I'm relying on English
translations to get the approximate meaning.

"There's nowhere for it to go anymore, the heat of this love"

"Yukiba" is easy enough to translate: "ziiki-juut" (arrive-place). But
what about that "mou"? Somehow I got the idea of using "mizoj", which
I've glossed as "finally".

Mizoj gavikan sy ziikijuut, zja jĕbaavinen sy nja miraat. Aaaaa!
The arrival place finally not existing, this love is very hot. Aaaaa!

Although this seems strange when expressed that way, I realized that
"mizoj" represents a change of state, and a better way to gloss it would
be "now (but not previously)". In positive statements it can still be
glossed "finally", but "any more" is a better translation in negative
statements.

It occurs to me that there must be many other words that would translate
differently in negative vs. positive statements, and that's something I
should pay more attention to! But I also think the idea of translating
lyrics from Japanese is a useful exercise. I avoid the danger of
sneaking English idioms into Tirëlat, and it helps me to understand the
meanings of words better than just translating from and into English does.

Herman