On Mon, 19 May 2014 21:58:30 +0300, Jyri Lehtinen wrote:

>> But the Finnish partitive can be used for predicative complements
>> too. which are hardly accusative.
>>
>> I'm unsure whether it can properly encode indefinite nominative of
>> mass nouns
>>

>The copular subject of locative/existential clauses can be in
>partitive for mass nouns or indefinite quantity:
>
>Pöydä-llä on kannu. table-ADE be.SG3 beaker "There's a beaker on the
>table"
>
>Kannu-ssa on vet-tä. beaker-INE be.SG3 water-PART "There's water in
>the beaker."
>
>Kannu on pöydä-llä. beaker be.SG3 table-ADE "The beaker is on the
>table."
>
>Vet-tä on kannu-ssa. water-PART be.SG3 beaker-INE "There's water in
>the beaker." (now with the intended reading "You'll find the water
>in the beaker.")
>
>In all of these sentences it's the locational NP that's the copular
>complement. The nominative and partitive participants are subjects
>in each case. If you were wondering about the word order, it's just
>for the information structure (topic first, information focus after
>the verb).

Quite similar phenomenon in German, albeit only in old-fashioned or
poetic use, according to Duden Grammatik, 6th edition, 1998, §1121,
which provides the following two examples:

... und _solcher Stellen_ waren überall (O. Ludwig).
... and such-GEN spots-GEN were everywhere ([author]).
'... and there were such spots everywhere.'

... und der Aspekte sind zahlreiche (Katalog).
... and the-GEN aspects-GEN are numerous-PLURAL ([some catalog]).
'... and there are numerous aspects.'

My grammar professor believes in and thinks a lot about unified
interpretations of cases. She thinks that partitiveness is the German
(Germanic? Indoeuropean?) genitive's original meaning and that it is
primarily an adnominal case, though the partitiveness allows for
adverbal uses, too, as subject or object.

--
grüess
mach