The Irish article is more complicated than you make out and it definitely shows gender distinctions:

In Modern Irish, the following masculine nouns  madra 'dog' (masc),  asal 'donkey' (masculine), sagart 'priest' (masculine) take the following article forms:

Nominative: an madra
Nominative: an t-asal
Nominative: an sagart
Genitive: an mhadra
Genitive: an asail
Genitive an tsagairt

The article is somewhat different with feminine nouns:
feadóg 'whistle' (feminine), sráid 'street'

Nominative: an fheadóg
Nominative: an tsráid
Genitive: na feadóige
Genitive: na sráide

So:
Masculine Nominative:    an   (t- +vowels)
Masculine Genitive:  an (lenition, t- + s)

Feminine Nominative:  an (lenition, t- + s)  (same as Masculine genitive)
Feminine Genitive:  na

Elliott